Here at Horizon Christian Church, we believe in connection and accountability. As our church continues to grow, the best way to get connected and stay accountable is through our Life Group Ministry. As you get involved in a Life Group, you will find that you are able to develop connections with those who share your interests or are dealing with similiar life issues. Life Groups are an opportunity to reach out to others while growing in your walk with the Lord.
HCC's Life Groups come in all shapes and sizes! People can jump into a Life Group for every reason imaginable. From Bible studies, to scrapbooking groups, homeschool groups, bicycling groups, and more! There is a Life Group that caters to you!
You are invited to join one of these dynamic small groups throughout the year! Request a brochure by calling the church office (775.787.6259) or pick one up this Sunday at Horizon.
Top 10 Life Group F.A.Qs
1. What is a Life Group? Most of our Life Groups are made up of 10 to 14 people who want to grow spiritually and connect with some friends who are going in the same direction. Sometimes, the best description is simply a group of people who are like you and are looking for a way to become more like Christ. They're not stuffy. In fact, there's no better place to meet people who really want to live life to the fullest.
2. Are all Life Groups the same? The short answer: No. At Horizon, we have all kinds of groups because we have all kinds of people. We have groups for married couples, empty nesters, newlywed couples, single adults, single parents, men's groups, and women's groups. We have groups designed for people who are investigating Christianity and groups for people who want to really dig into a book of the Bible. Some of our groups are focused on developing solid relationships with other believers. Other groups are centered on prayer or serving together.
3. Why should I join a Life Group? Here are four very important reasons: First, you'll begin to understand the Bible better in a Life Group (there's nothing like the chance to ask questions). Second, you'll begin to feel like you're part of God's family (and not just a face in the crowd). Third, prayer will become more meaningful for you (your friends will be praying for you and with you). Finally, you'll be able to handle stress and pressure better (when your friends are there for you, life is a very different experience).
4. Do I have to be a member of Horizon to join a Life Group? No.
5. How often does a Life Group meet? Our groups meet 2 to 4 times a month and they meet on a predictable day and time (i.e., Fridays from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.).
6. How long does a typical Life Group stay together? We have many groups that vary greatly. Some groups meet for 2-3 months with a particular focus, and some of the Life Groups are ongoing. That is, they don't do a particular study and then disband. Some of our groups have been meeting for several years.
7. What happens at a Life Group meeting? Every group is different but there are some common denominators. Most groups have a time for just hanging out, talking about the week and what's going on in life. The central component is a study of something very relevant to the members of the group. It may be the study of the Book of Romans or the Gospel of John. Or it might be a study like dealing with stress or building better relationships from a biblical perspective. Our groups are designed to encourage discussion and engage each person in the process. And then our groups have an opportunity to pray for each other.
8. Where do Life Groups meet? Most of our groups meet in homes. A few of our groups meet in local restaurants, office buildings, or at the Horizon Plaza.
9. Is there childcare available? Every group deals with this issue in its own way. Some of the groups go in together and make arrangements for a baby sitter or take turns watching the children. Other groups require each participant to make their own arrangements.
10. What if I don't like the first group I try? We want to encourage you to give the group you try a couple visits. Anytime you're trying something new, it may need to grow on you. In addition, it may take a couple of times to begin to feel like you're in the right place. But at the same time, we want you to find a group that fits you! So don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you don't really feel good about the group you try.
(OK- we came up with more than 10!)
11. Can I start my own group? We love it when people are interested in leading or hosting a group of their own. If you'd like more information about leading or hosting, please call the church office to find out more (contact Pastor Tom @ 787-6259).
12. How do I get into a group? Three options. (1) Request information using the Welcome Card in the Worship Center. We'll connect you with a good match. (2) Pick up a Life Group brochure and schedule at the Horizon "Welcome Table" on Sunday. (3) Call the Horizon Church office at (775) 787-6259.